Friday, June 20, 2014

Invisible threads

Many of us are finding connections to our own stories in serendipitous ways. I had one last night at dinner at the jewish Community Center. Our extremely vivacious host Simon greeted us warmly and told us the building was originally a famous Hebrew School of the Gaon of Vilna where the most perfect Hebrew in the world was taught. Later, I mentioned to Simon that his statement reminded me how Israelis would always marvel at the beautiful way my father spoke Hebrew. But he did not study here, I said, it was just in the little town of Keidan.  Simeon's face lit up. In Keidan! That is not just a little town. Keidan is a beautiful place, with  a school just like this one. the Gaon himself founded and worked at that school.
frankly, never before had I really believed that the compliments of the Israelis were more than flattery to an old man. Now I understood how real the compliments were. I learned something significant about my father's education and I learned it without searching specifically for it. it came with serendipity by coming to this place. An invisible thread to the famous Gaon of Vilna made itself known to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment